A Modicum Of Hate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Grand Ole Return of the Music Thread

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Grand Ole Return of the Music Thread Empty The Grand Ole Return of the Music Thread

Post  Grainy Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:18 am

Hello and welcome to this resurrection of the music thread...so yeah new music you like please.

I have a couple of bands here for y'all, the first is Shearwater - An eclectic blend of.....erm instruments....and a man.....singing.

Another band, well person who has come under my radar is Sebastian Tellier, he's French, and nice, which is strange for a Frenchman.

Erm....The Lovely Feathers are cool, along with Operator Please, Stars of Track and Field, White Rabbits and many many more.

NB| Many many more isn't a band.
Grainy
Grainy
Admin
Admin

http://www.grainystudios.com

Back to top Go down

The Grand Ole Return of the Music Thread Empty Re: The Grand Ole Return of the Music Thread

Post  Disgraced Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:27 pm

I've recently rediscovered my love for Jack off Jill, amazing stuff, I feel like I'm 16 again!
Disgraced
Disgraced

Back to top Go down

The Grand Ole Return of the Music Thread Empty Re: The Grand Ole Return of the Music Thread

Post  Christophe Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:45 pm

Yeah you asked for Shearwater on my show the other day, and I'd never heard of them.

Recent-ish discoveries:
Andrew Bird
Annuals
Sunny Day Sets Fire
Die! Die! Die!
Bear in Heaven
Division Day
Holy Fuck
Black Kids

Jack off Jill are cringeworthy...
Christophe
Christophe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:17 am

i know most of you have heard of them but i demand that you all go out and listen to Thee Silver Mt Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tral-La-La Band's new album. If you like Post Rock you'll love it.
Tom
Tom
Forum Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Disgraced Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:16 am

Christophe wrote:Jack off Jill are cringeworthy...

Not true dick lips.
Disgraced
Disgraced

Back to top Go down

Post  Christophe Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:46 am

Tom wrote:i know most of you have heard of them but i demand that you all go out and listen to Thee Silver Mt Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tral-La-La Band's new album. If you like Post Rock you'll love it.

I'm adding this to my already far too lenghty 'to buy' list. Shafts of Light is sublime, and judging by the gushing review on DiS, so is this.
Christophe
Christophe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:48 am

yes i think the DiS guy almost drowned from the tears of joy that that album forced him to shed.
Tom
Tom
Forum Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Christophe Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:51 am

It truly irritated me that he gave it 9/10 after all that gushing. The idea that giving 10/10 to something means it can never be bettered is flawed. For me, an album received 10/10 means that, in the reviewer's opinion, it's simply in the top 10% of albums in terms of quality.
Christophe
Christophe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Disgraced Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:07 pm

Billy Joel - We didn't start the fire

Been dancing around to this, also found salt n pepa let's talk about sex, hahaha I feel both disappointed and proud of myself.
Disgraced
Disgraced

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainy Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:10 pm

Leannes contributions to this thread have drastically reduced any respect I had for her.
Grainy
Grainy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainy Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:55 am

I know this won't be for everyones pallet, but I'm enjoying the Ting Tings...mmm arty.
Grainy
Grainy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:36 am

i saw them live last month... not arty but if its the band i am thinking of then the girl is hot...
Tom
Tom
Forum Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Disgraced Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:16 am

Grainy wrote:Leannes contributions to this thread have drastically reduced any respect I had for her.

You HAD respect for me in the first place?!
Disgraced
Disgraced

Back to top Go down

Post  Christophe Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:50 am

The Ting Tings are one of those bands who I've already subconciously ignored simply because of their name. It's not just that its shit (although clearly, it's shit), it's that they just don't sound like someone I'd like. Granted, it was exactly this attitude that meant I never bothered to listen to Grandaddy for several years, before ultimately discovering (after they'd split up) they were actually really quite good. But the Ting Tings have the further disadvantage of reminding me of Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong, who are really every bit as mediocre as their name (although decidedly less memorable).
Christophe
Christophe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainy Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:49 am

I've just discovered a band called Ineedtodiscover, not a lot is available yet but what is is pretty damn fine, check out their Myspace and listen to MixandMatch
Grainy
Grainy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christophe Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:19 pm

This should probably go in the minor irritants thread, but I don't like it when bands needlessly splodge together all the words of their name to make just the one word.

Anyway, I went on their myspace and the music player wasn't working for me so they'll probably never attain my fandom, unless of course they actually go big and hear them at a later date.

But I notice on their blog posts they've posted the lyrics of a song "so that people can cover it". Isn't that a bit pretentious for a band of their size?

I actually feel a bit guilty about having so many complaints about a band I've never even heard...
Christophe
Christophe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainy Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:55 pm

Yeah, it is quite silly, but I think it has a nice ring to it, as does 65daysofstatic.......
Grainy
Grainy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainy Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

............and Yourcodenameis:milo
Grainy
Grainy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christophe Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:18 am

Hmm, I'm not so sure. It's only because your used to seeing them like that, they'd be just as good names if they were written conventionally.
Christophe
Christophe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainy Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:00 pm

LADYTRON!

Everybody should worship this band.
Grainy
Grainy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Disgraced Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:35 am

ladytron are awesome, i'm glad somebody else likes them. The knife are good as well, give em a listen Smile

I'm coming home to dronfield today, woohoo!
Disgraced
Disgraced

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:33 am

isnt the knife a song... perhaps by Grizzly bear?
Tom
Tom
Forum Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Disgraced Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:24 pm

not sure, never heard it
Disgraced
Disgraced

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainy Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:03 pm

I've listened to their cover of 'Jose Gonsalez - Heartbeat', pretty cool shizz I must admit.
Grainy
Grainy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainy Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:05 pm

Which I;ve just discovered was the original, even better!
Grainy
Grainy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next