A Modicum Of Hate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pointless Poll of the Week X

4 posters

Go down

Is the ID card scheme a good idea?

Pointless Poll of the Week X Vote_lcap20%Pointless Poll of the Week X Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 1 ]
Pointless Poll of the Week X Vote_lcap80%Pointless Poll of the Week X Vote_rcap 80% 
[ 4 ]
Pointless Poll of the Week X Vote_lcap0%Pointless Poll of the Week X Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 5

Pointless Poll of the Week X Empty Pointless Poll of the Week X

Post  Paulio Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:33 pm

Do you think the government's identity card scheme is a good idea?

Personally I think its an awful idea for a variety of reasons which I'm too lazy to detail at the moment but what reminded me of my dislike of this is the story in the papers today about the 11,000 missing military ID cards

I thought this was an interesting point (from a fellow information scientist no less (How much of a twat do I sound saying that?))

Professor Ian Angell wrote:However, the ID card itself isn’t the real problem: it’s the ID register. There, each entry will eventually take on a legal status. In time, all other proofs of identity will refer back to the one entry. If the register is wrong - and remember fallible human hands will at some stage have to handle your personal information - then all other databases will be wrong too. Given the propensity of officialdom to trust the details on their computer screen, rather than the person in front of them, you will have to conform to your entry in the register - or become a non-person.

In effect, your identity won’t reside in the living flesh and blood of you, but in the database. You will be separated from your identity; you will no longer own it. All your property and money will de facto belong to the database entry. You only have access to your property with the permission of the database. Paradoxically, you only agreed to register to protect yourself from “identity theft”, and instead you find yourself victim of the ultimate identity theft - the total loss of control over your identity.

Paulio
Admin
Admin

https://amodicumofhate.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Pointless Poll of the Week X Empty Re: Pointless Poll of the Week X

Post  Christophe Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:58 pm

I would seriously question the sanity of anyone who trusts out government with any sort of data these days.

It's a no for me, although I'd perhaps tolerate the voluntary one if it remains voluntary...
Christophe
Christophe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:22 pm

I am completely against the idea as it is against our personal Liberties.

I will however state that as the vast majority of us have a facebook then the government have already got a pretty good handle on our information.

Only Paul's detail's are free from the governments clutches.
Tom
Tom
Forum Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainy Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:31 pm

I'm all for it, I've got nothing to hide, or anything that's worth stealing, plus it saves me money getting ID for myself.

No it doesn't - you'll have to fork out yourself for the ID card that the government will be forcing you to have.

Anyway, it's not a question of having nothing to hide - none of us do (yet; I'm still waiting for Tom to start preying on young children). It's the principle of the whole surveillence society idea that unnerves me, it's as though we're all being treated as criminals before we've even done anything.
Grainy
Grainy
Admin
Admin

http://www.grainystudios.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainy Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:33 pm

Also, I have taken the liberty to rename this thread to keep it in conjunction with other threads, I named it X because:

1) I have no idea what number we got up to on the last forum.

2) It sounds pretty damn cool.
Grainy
Grainy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christophe Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:55 pm

It's possible that the last one was number 9, in which case this one is numerically correct as well.

I'm all for it, I've got nothing to hide, or anything that's worth stealing, plus it saves me money getting ID for myself.

No it doesn't - you'll have to fork out yourself for the ID card that the government will be forcing you to have.

Anyway, it's not a question of having nothing to hide - none of us do (yet; I'm still waiting for Tom to start preying on young children). It's the principle of the whole surveillence society idea that unnerves me, it's as though we're all being treated as criminals before we've even done anything.
Christophe
Christophe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainy Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:01 pm

It only freaks me out when I think about it, but most of the time I wander blissfully unaware that these people are watching me.

On the conversation of privacy I direct you here

It is also the topic of my latest post of the website
Grainy
Grainy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:08 pm

wow i am pretty sure it was only a matter of time before that was invented although the question does arise: can it distinguish between a mobile or a detonator or shall i expect guards to search me and destroy the said phone with malice until apoligisng sheepishly on the realisation of their mistake.
Tom
Tom
Forum Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Christophe Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:16 pm

Grainy wrote:

It is also the topic of my latest post of the website

Your website's link just reminded me - I completely forgot I had a blog. One day, one fateful day...post no.4 will arrive.
Christophe
Christophe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainy Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:17 pm

If you've forgotten the address, I kindly posted a link to it on my links page.

Thank me.
Grainy
Grainy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down