A Modicum Of Hate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

movies

5 posters

Go down

movies Empty movies

Post  Tom Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:50 pm

as in what was the last one you watched and was it any good.

Basically this is just an excuse to rant about how brilliant silence of tha lambs is. I would have started that on the love forum but frankly starting a thread about a cannibal in the love section made me feel like a bit of a pervert. Anyway i thought the film was excellant especially Anthony Hopkins who despite being in the film a grand total of 15 minutes. Never have i watched a film and thought that the baddie who is on all accounts a complete bastard was actually rather likeable.
In fact my only quarrel with his character was that really famous bit where he hisses or slobbers after talking about eating someone. I felt that it was rather comical and it didnt seem to match up with his intelligent debonair character.

Jane Fonda's character somewhat annoyed me somewhat as she was told at least two important rules.
1) dont reveal any personal information. This is the rule that she ignored to a breath-taking capacity, telling him personal things from his childhood that she probably wouldn't have told her boyfriend which is something she convieniantly didnt have and spent the entire film flirting with someone who closely resembles the american equivalent of the demon headmaster.

2) dont accept anything from him. At one point in the film she actually assaults two ill fated guards in order to accept something from him.

for me going to these lengths to ignore possibly life saving advice points rather strongly at retardation. Its like the greeks accepting the Horse of troy. Groundbreakingly shocking.

But yes recommended to anyone who likes watching good films. This means that for those of you who loved the Lord of the Rings movie and any film by peter Jackson should probably steer clear as the shock of an actual good movie will make your head explode at the sheer novelty.

Anyway i am glad that this film was the last i had seen. Had i started this thread last week then it would have been about Clueless. Turk was there. As was that guy from Road trip.
Tom
Tom
Forum Slayer

Back to top Go down

movies Empty Re: movies

Post  Grainy Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:28 am

The last movie I watched was Sweeney Todd (Richard Burton version)

I found it to be good..................
Grainy
Grainy
Admin
Admin

http://www.grainystudios.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Disgraced Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:37 am

It was ok, but I really don't want Depp to sing again (luckily he has apparently said he isn't going to) Just sounded like a slightly more sober Jack Sparrow throughout.

Saw Juno the other day (I didn't pay to see it thank god) It's ok if you like your fairly serious teen pregnency dramas.
Disgraced
Disgraced

Back to top Go down

Post  Paulio Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:08 pm

The last film I can remember watching is Kiss Kiss Bang Bang which was okay I suppose. I've seen dreadfully worse but it didn't really stand out as a film I will care to remember (it took me five minutes to remember its name (surprising I didn't give up isn't it?)). However it made me laugh a couple of times and I didn't fall asleep or start staring at the wallpaper.

Since you bothered to write a longish review Tom I shall tell you that it was worth it as it amused me.

Paulio
Admin
Admin

https://amodicumofhate.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:07 pm

glad to hear it.

I saw Juno, also for free. I thought it was good although not as brilliant as some have made out. I would also like the writer to show me one 16 year old who talks like Juno.

Juno should have also done without the two actors from Arrested Development as everytime they were on screen i stopped paying attention to the film and began thinking about how excellant that sitcom truely was.
Tom
Tom
Forum Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Christophe Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:33 pm

Paulio wrote:The last film I can remember watching is Kiss Kiss Bang Bang which was okay I suppose. I've seen dreadfully worse but it didn't really stand out as a film I will care to remember (it took me five minutes to remember its name (surprising I didn't give up isn't it?)).

I'd be inclined to agree with this, since I'm pretty sure I've seen this film but remember literally nothing about it at all.

Tom - how have you made it to age 19 1/2 without seeing Silence of the Lambs? if nothing else, it's on ITV (or one of its subsidiary channels) every week.

I quite liked Juno. The ending was a bit naff, but it was pretty funny on the whole and that's what you want from a comedy I suppose. I was just about the comment on the Arrested Development actors too. I like them both, but I couldn't quite stop thinking of Michael Jnr as Michael Jnr. His Dad, for some reason, escaping this mental typecasting (probably because his character was nothing like his in AD's).

However, the positive impact Juno had on me could be partially due to the fact that not too long before I had seen Sweeney Todd, which, despite the fact I had for it possibly the lowest expectations I'd had for any film in years, still managed to be worse than I had expected.

This thread has also reminded to me to get round to seeing the Diving Bell and the Butterfly. I let No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood pass me by, I'm not letting this one do so too...
Christophe
Christophe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:38 pm

i think one of the problem that the actor who portrayed George Micheal faces is that every single one of his roles is directly similar to that of George Micheal. Frankly the only difference in this one was that he had sex and his parents never referred to Juno as "egg" or "plant" or "(disappointed tone) her...". He plays the nervous insecure teenager too well and probably needs to move on.
Tom
Tom
Forum Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Paulio Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:54 pm

Did I miss something with this Juno film?

I saw the trailer and immediately dismissed it.

Paulio
Admin
Admin

https://amodicumofhate.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:07 pm

well as prejudice as that is, i would say you didnt miss anything special.
Brief summary:
Odd Teenage couple rocked by pregnancy. She decides against abortion and gives it up for adoption.

Add some unneccessary pop culture references and a oddly
spoken titular character and it makes for a fairly enjoyable hour and a
half
Tom
Tom
Forum Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainy Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:30 pm

After Juno was constantly thrust in my face during January, I've felt a need to see this film, as I can't be arsed to read most of what you lot have put, can someone tell me in once concise sentence, if it is worth watching or not?
Grainy
Grainy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:34 pm

Tom wrote:
Brief summary:
Odd Teenage couple rocked by pregnancy. She decides against abortion and gives it up for adoption.
Add some unneccessary pop culture references and a oddly
spoken titular character and it makes for a fairly enjoyable hour and a
half

I did that in the previous comment.
Albeit in two sentences.
Tom
Tom
Forum Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainy Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:49 pm

Yes, but like I said I really can't be arsed to read it.

I may watch it when I've got a spare hour and a half, but for now I'm going to start a 3 hours Scrubs marathon Very Happy
Grainy
Grainy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:53 pm

Yes i have been using this website as a fairly successful revision distractor. so far its better than myspace or facebook ever were.
Tom
Tom
Forum Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Christophe Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:01 pm

Tom wrote:revision
WHAT?
Christophe
Christophe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:04 pm

i have an exam tomorrow morning *sigh*
i should only fail by the lightest of margins
and then Home! Plug anyone or shall i just wait till the inevitable trip to corporation on friday?
Tom
Tom
Forum Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Christophe Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:07 pm

Your Uni is weird. If your exams are now, why do you go back to uni after Easter? Unless you have exams now AND after Easter, in which case - HA!
Christophe
Christophe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainy Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:09 pm

I can't go to corp anymore can I? Embarassed

Although I have a brand spanking new Birth Certificate, couple with a couple of bank statements and my card should surely be enough for that small, egoistical, arsey-faced "bouncer" to let me in.
Grainy
Grainy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christophe Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:12 pm

Grainy wrote:I can't go to corp anymore can I? Embarassed

Explain.
Christophe
Christophe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainy Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:15 pm

The afore-mentioned "small, egoistical, arsey-faced "bouncer"" keeps ID'ing me.
Grainy
Grainy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christophe Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:16 pm

There is much to be said for having a driving license, even if it is green.
Christophe
Christophe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainy Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:19 pm

But £40 is a lot of beer money gone to waste. Anyway...I shouldn't get ID'd, I'm Grainy! The guy who came out of the womb with stubble.
Grainy
Grainy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:23 pm

i love the idea of bouncers on a power trip. Milking it for its worth under the full knowledge that he or she will never wield the said power again.
Tom
Tom
Forum Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Disgraced Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:15 am

Grainy wrote:small, egoistical, arsey-faced "bouncer"

Lovin the fact that nobody even uses his name any morem he once kepy Anna Esposito out because she had a foreign passport, he's such a cunt.
Disgraced
Disgraced

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum