A Modicum Of Hate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Thread of Various News Stories of Interest or Amusement

5 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Thread of Various News Stories of Interest or Amusement Empty The Thread of Various News Stories of Interest or Amusement

Post  Paulio Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:02 am

This is my favourite news story of the week. I found it a relief from all the stabbings and shootings I'd had to read till I got till page 14 of the newspaper.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/7352834.stm

Paulio
Admin
Admin

https://amodicumofhate.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Thread of Various News Stories of Interest or Amusement Empty Re: The Thread of Various News Stories of Interest or Amusement

Post  Tom Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:32 am

i think thats unfair... people harass me all the time and manage to avoid community service...
Tom
Tom
Forum Slayer

Back to top Go down

The Thread of Various News Stories of Interest or Amusement Empty Re: The Thread of Various News Stories of Interest or Amusement

Post  Christophe Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:57 pm

Dave, who was actually female
Brilliant.

The court heard that during the incident on 9 June a witness heard one of the men shout: "People pay hundreds of pounds to do this in Florida and I'm doing it in Folkestone."
This does actually raise a point. Why is Ok to swim with dolphins in nice warm sunny places when sober, but when you're a drunken Brit suddenly we all start going "aww, poor dolphin"? If anything they were the ones at risk, swimming in the sea when pissed at 5 in the morning. Furthermore, - and I'm not trying to be the high-and-mighty self-righteous vegitarian aresehole here; I'm a fully-fledged meat eater now people - doesn't it seem a bit hypocritical to haul out of the sea thousands and thousands of fish for the purpose of eating them, then class a man touching a dolphin as criminal behaviour?

Anyway, this was my news story of the week, mainly for the woman on the right. You can almost hear her thinking "tsk, the youth of today - no respect for their elders!".
Christophe
Christophe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:54 am

it amuses me that his excuse "just did it for a laugh" fulfills the stereotype of disaffected teenager. It also gives oldies a chance to criticise.

he was given a warning.... i can see it now: "dont touch people again always stay at least five yeards from all humans ... especially Lord Snooty.... How dare you touch is priceless suit.. that suit is worth several of you... do it again and i'll slap an ASBO on you."
Tom
Tom
Forum Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Paulio Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:53 am

This is in the wrong forum really but this is now the news thread so we will have to endure the mind bending confusion.

I read this story and I can't explain how truly angry it makes me.

Paulio
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainy Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:46 pm

The most interesting news story this week has without a doubt got to be that dirty Austrian....he's going to have medical tests to determine whether he was responsible for his actions or not, this fucking angers me, but I'm too drunk to rant about that at the moment.

The reason for this post however is to get people to look at this

I'm gobsmacked at how this has happened, but I'd need to see it happen again to believe in it. If you can do this with a finger, is this the end of false limbs?

Your opinions please.
Grainy
Grainy
Admin
Admin

http://www.grainystudios.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Thu May 01, 2008 8:11 am

Paulio wrote:

I read this story and I can't explain how truly angry it makes me.

ah senseless acts of religion.. this forums whipping boy. This is however a more disgusting view of the word honour.

And as for the man who grew back his finger... i think its about time we began having a grasp on proper witchcraft... it was becoming pathetic.

For me however the undoubted story of the week is this
the glory of watching unbelievably talented people doing something truly ridiculous is a truly priceless thing.
Tom
Tom
Forum Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Paulio Thu May 01, 2008 12:08 pm

ah senseless acts of religion.. this forums whipping boy. This is however a more disgusting view of the word honour.

It wasn't really that you can attribute part of the blame to the idiocy of religion that made me post it but yes it does seem to come up quite a bit.

Thank you for bringing that story to my attention it brightened up my day.

Paulio
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christophe Sun May 04, 2008 9:42 am

Grainy wrote: I'm too drunk to rant about that at the moment.

In my experienced that's the best time to rant.

I'm surprised that man who grew a finger hasn't had more press attention, it was a minor news story on BBC the other and that's about it, but it seems to me to be a incredibly impressive and hugely important scientific breakthrough, unless I'm missing something? Imagine what else they might be able to do with that i.e. regrowing the limbs of amputees etc.

The whole honour killings thing really angers me too; there must be farmyard animals who have better lives than some Arabic women.
Christophe
Christophe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paulio Sun May 04, 2008 3:17 pm

I'm surprised that man who grew a finger hasn't had more press attention, it was a minor news story on BBC the other and that's about it, but it seems to me to be a incredibly impressive and hugely important scientific breakthrough, unless I'm missing something? Imagine what else they might be able to do with that i.e. regrowing the limbs of amputees etc.

This is shocking! The Metro has reported something better than the BBC. According to the metro the evidence is so far anecdotal, there's the suggestion the wound was only the very tip of the finger, the method used is known and according to scientists (possibly jealous?) could never repair anything that complex. So we await the results of the peer review process.

Paulio
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Christophe Tue May 06, 2008 8:59 am

I'm sure there was a video of it on BBC News showing it pictured a various stages of the reconstructive process, right down from when 'twas a mere stump to its fully grown fingerly glory. Although to be honest, even if it was just the tip that regrew - that would still be pretty impressive, non?
Christophe
Christophe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Thu May 08, 2008 5:15 pm

not the story despite how truly tragic it is. Now you all know me and you all know me opinions of certain newspapers. I hate the Daily mail. That is a given. Why? because of the stupid scaremongering articles like this [url] http://tinyurl.com/6avmdu [url/]
I know that none of us are huge fans of emo... I would like to point out the album "The Black Parade" isn't emo and it isnt a meeting place for stupid kiddies to commit suicide. It is a pop album. HARMLESS pop. They cant misinterpret a lineabout remembering a friend and change it to suicide. scrolling down the comments none of which supported the ridiculous article state that apparently Mr Way has actually spoon out against suicide.

The emo name has become what goth and marilyn Manson was a few years ago... a scapegoat for parents not taking an interest or noticing their childrens problems to blame.

And i am sorry to say this but emo isn't even as depressing as such critically lauded musicians as Radiohead, Elliott Smith and Bright eyes. the fact is that the demographic that the mail attracts (ie the old, the racist, the ignorant and the intolerant) are threatened by how emo kids dress. And thats sad especially considering that on this very forum both Grainy and Josh had fairly prominent emo phases. And thats what it is a phase... NOT a cult.... Most (as in all music types) are not suicidal and those that are are not so because of the music they listen to (if they are even deeper councilling is required and would advise you now let them watch tv or do anything EVER). It is a phase that people for the most part grow out of and become functioning members of society.

Emo is kind of like the weaker sibling of punk. So many ideals and ideas about society that will eventually lead to nothing. I say let kids be kids. Let them listen to shitty bands with dyed black hair without worrying about suicide. Now if your child brings a record organised by the BNP by all means monitor them and stop them vefore they start victimizing the polish but until then let it lie.
Tom
Tom
Forum Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Disgraced Fri May 09, 2008 6:27 am

i'm still completely amazed by the finger.....wow.
Disgraced
Disgraced

Back to top Go down

Post  Christophe Fri May 09, 2008 8:48 am

My God that emo thing is ridiculous. I rememeber the Mail kicking up a fuss about MCR a few years ago, they must have loved this.

I could sit hear and pick flaws with this article for hours
Although you're dead and gone, believe me your memory will go on.
The type of lyric that leads to suicide? By that rationale even Candle in the Wind could be labelled as dangerous. God forbid someone be remembered after they die.

Two weeks before, I saw the cuts. I asked her about them and she said it was an Emo initiation.
It's not. It's a cry for help that is in no way related to musical taste and sadly didn't go heeded in this instance.

The Emo phenomenon began in the U.S. in the 1980s.
It didn't. The original 'emo' genre, which MCR aren't part of and has nothing to do with this, was a completely different thing anyway. (Yhe standard of journalism at the Mail really heartens me in pursuit of a career in that field)

What's worrying, saddening and actually quite infuritating with this is that the Daily Mail are turning a tragic incident of the suicide of a kid (which has happened quite a lot in Brigend recently I seem to remember - I suppose they were all MCR fans too, yeah?) into a vendetta against a genre of music or at most a phase, as Tom said, when in reality this girl should have been given some sort of help, institutionalised or personal. Because of this news story no doubt there's going to be some parents who, on seeing their kids harming themselves, simply chuck away some of their CDs rather that actually talking to them.
Christophe
Christophe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Fri May 09, 2008 9:03 am

part of me thinks that the mail admires the mexican view of victimising emo's and want to bring it into this country. However i was from the comments i read heartened to see that every single comment felt that the article was seemingly ridiculous.
Tom
Tom
Forum Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Paulio Fri May 09, 2008 2:16 pm

Christophe wrote:
I could sit hear and pick flaws with this article for hours

I think you meant here.

Paulio
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Sat May 10, 2008 11:53 am

basically Paul could sit here and pick problems with this forum for hours..
Tom
Tom
Forum Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Christophe Sat May 10, 2008 3:23 pm

Tom wrote: the mexican view of victimising emo's
Expand.

Tom wrote:However i was from the comments i read heartened to see that every single comment felt that the article was seemingly ridiculous.

Yes but don't forget around 99% of Mail readers don't have access to the Internet, being 75 years old or more and thus incapable of comprehending the operation of a computer. So it's likely that the people who commented on that article we redirected there in forums or blog posts similar to your own. On the positive side the unbalanced nature of the Mail's demographic does mean that in a couple of decades time the vast majority of their market will have been killed off.

I think you meant here.

Pedant.
Christophe
Christophe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Sun May 11, 2008 5:49 am

some mexican communities have begun victimising emos and basically anyone with a fringe although a kid being beaten up consistantly should perhaps rethink the whole "pain doesn't bother me anyway as that feels more like a challenge than a statement.
Tom
Tom
Forum Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainy Tue May 13, 2008 8:04 am

Here's a funny one I've just read.
Grainy
Grainy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paulio Wed May 14, 2008 6:29 am

Haha brilliant. I feel exactly the same way about children and beer.

Today has been quite a good day for stupid stories. Firstly there is the aliens story which is pretty damn funny on its own (Elgar the alien. Brilliant) but just to add to that its the first time I've ever seen anyone from Hallam universisty interviewed and they were defending the idea that there might be some truth in these reports.

Aliens

Secondly there is the Gordon Brown Apprentice style programme. Can't wait for that one.

Paulio
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainy Thu May 15, 2008 7:01 am

Yay! Aliens! Does anyone else think that there could be an alien spacecraft that's been in space for billions of years, and has it's own little community and everything which is heading in our direction, and could crash land any minute now? That would be cool.
Grainy
Grainy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Thu May 15, 2008 7:34 am

cool... Armageddon whats the difference eh?

I personally as a "i'll believe when i see it" kinda guy personally would bet against that possibility.
Tom
Tom
Forum Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Thu May 15, 2008 7:43 am

The mirror have seemingly reported the battle for Britains most mediocre band is becoming violent and petty
Personally i can only hope that they kill each other... although i do have issue with Kooks being labelled Britain's coolest band considering that in terms of actual street cred i think Mr Blobby has a better rep.
Tom
Tom
Forum Slayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainy Thu May 15, 2008 7:06 pm

Just noticed that your location's still in Lincoln Tom, please change it or I may not be responsible for my actions.
Grainy
Grainy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next